FB Flat wagon
This wagon was used for transporting bogies from Islington to Dry Creek. It has rails for all three SA track gauges. The wagon was donated by ANR.
SAR Explosives Van SE 3
Originally built by the South Australian Railways at the Islington Workshops in 1969, as a ‘bogie exchange’ explosives van. It was primarily used to carry explosives traffic between Dry Creek and Broken Hill. The van was withdrawn from regular use in the mid-1980s. One of the few broad gauge vehicles that was regularly bogie exchanged between the broad and narrow gauge systems. It also ran between Melbourne and Broken Hill, initially being bogie exchanged onto the narrow gauge. Later the bogie exchange was from broad to standard. Reclassification was after Sept 1979 at which time it was running only on the standard gauge.
SAR Goods Guards Van
Originally built by the South Australian Railways at the Islington Workshops in June 1962 as goods brake van number 8330. It was converted to AVAY 31 in October 1983 and subsequently acquired by the service department in 1987 and reclassified AZXP 31. Two goods compartments are located either side of the central guard’s compartment which is fitted with a seat, desk, toilet, viewing periscope and braking equipment. There is also a small passenger compartment. Originally an 8300 type brake van, it had no end connecting doors so was only used on freight trains. It was purchased from ANR for $1000 and arrived by Campbell low loader. The generator and battery from this van are displayed in the Accident Van.
DWf 4 wheeled louvred van No.164
The practice of the South Australian Railways of building 4-wheel versions of larger bogie cars, and vice versa, extended to many types. When this occurred the 4-wheel version was given the same classification as the bogie wagon but with the suffix ‘f’ added. The DW Class was a bogie Louvred Van and the DWf its 4-wheel counterpart. Built to carry produce which needed ventilation but not refrigeration, 550 were built by the Islington Workshops between December 1944 and February 1955.
No 164 was built 10th Dec. 1953, was last used on 17th August 1977, was written off on 13 August 1983 and sold to ARHS on 18 Nov 1988. The van was trailing load restricted. Diagram book page number CB V-12. Tare 9.1 tonne. The original cost was $2920 and the museum purchased it for $500. It is now converted for use as toilets.
DWf 4 wheeled louvred van No. 266
The practice of the South Australian Railways of building 4-wheel versions of larger bogie cars, and vice versa, extended to many types. When this occurred the 4-wheel version was given the same classification as the bogie wagon but with the suffix ‘f’ added. The DW Class was a bogie Louvred Van and the DWf its 4-wheel counterpart. Built to carry produce which needed ventilation but not refrigeration, 550 were built by the Islington Workshops between December 1944 and February 1955. Number 266 was built on 1st January 1954 and was written off and sold to ARHS for use as a grounded stores vehicle. It was trailing load restricted. Diagram book page number CB V-12. Tare 9.2 tonne. The museum acquired the running gear from a movie company after a film was made at Strathalbyn and remounted the body. It is now used for tool and paint storage.
SAR bogie Accident van number SLC 3K
This mobile workshop was stored at Islington until needed for use at an accident or derailment. It was urchased from Steamranger for $800 from Strathalbyn yard where it had been vandalised. Now contains a collection of railway tools.
OBF 740 wagon
The OBF wagons were a large group of wagons which were in common use throughout South Australia to carry fertiliser, grain, etc. They were manufactured in the 1960s. The red doors indicate that they were sealed for the carriage of grain, etc. It was purchased from ANR for $200 and was moved to Tailem Bend by rail and then by road to Milang.
SAR YY wagon
The SAR YY wagon was used on the 3’ 6” narrow gauge lines. It was purchased from the NRM and was stored behind the motel for a year until a length of 3’6″ gauge track was obtained.
The Kitchen Car
The kitchen car was converted from an SAR 4 wheel ESV class staff sleeping car which had two berths and was built at Islington. It was purchased from Steamranger for $500 and arrived around 2000.
Bogie Bolster wagon and Plough
The bogie bolster was purchased from ANR for $200. It was railed to Tailem Bend and then was moved by road to Milang in 1992. The stump jump plough was manufactured by William Shearer for Charlie Landseer and was delivered by rail. It was donated by the Milang Agricultural Society on their centenary.
SAR Travelling Crane
Number 2326 is one of two travelling cranes acquired by SAR. With a 5 ton capacity, it was used to lift modest loads in goods yards and also for civil engineering tasks such as bridge building and repair. In 1932, both cranes were allocated a match wagon. These were G class, four wheel open wagons with modified ends to carry tools and the crane jib when travelling. It was built by Cowans Ltd. Of Sheldon, England in 1877 and was placed in service by the South Australian Railways in 1882 at Port Adelaide. Steamranger donated the crane to the museum.